Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A New Favorite

One of the girls read this poem this morning for check-in. I loved it and am posting it below:

Comes the Dawn

After awhile you learn the subtle difference
Between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
And that company doesn't mean serenity.

You begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts,
That presents aren't promises.

And you begin to accept defeats with the
Grace of a woman, not the grief of a child,
With your head up and your eyes open.

You learn to build all your roads on today,
Because tomorrow's ground is too
Uncertain for plans, and futures have a
Way of falling down in midflight.

After awhile you learn that even sunshine
Burns if you get too much.
So you plant your own gardens and decorate
Your own soul instead of waiting for someone
To bring you flowers.

You learn that you really can endure.
That you really are strong.
That you really do have worth.

And you learn and you learn.

6 comments:

Ingrid said...

I don't usually subject anyone to forwards, especially not strangers, but this one is pretty good (if a little cheesy). I really appreciated your last several posts on romance or lack thereof.

"Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they sometimes take the apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy. The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality, they're amazing. They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who is brave enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree.

Now Men....

Men are like a fine wine. They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the shit out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.

Share this with all the good apples you know."

Kristy said...

Ingrid,

Absolutely hilarious! Thank you for passing along this quote--cheesy or not, it rings true. I'm laughing out loud now . . .the last few lines are priceless.

Where are the "strong men?" I have this unsettling suspicion that they no longer exist . . . .

Thanks again for your post,
Kristy

Ingrid said...

Kristy,

I think we need to be friends. We've got a lot in common. (Though I rent canoes and kayaks to people on the Chicago River when I'm not busy being a grad student. Not quite as scenic as your gig.)

I have a theory that quality Christian men get married more or less immediately upon growing up, at whatever age that occurs. Granted, there are fewer of them left as we get older, but the fact that there are never many available at once doesn't mean they don't exist. They just take a lot longer than we do to figure out what they want and what is good for them. :)

I'm more or less resigned to not getting a date before I'm done with seminary . . . two years to go. Sigh. Being intimidating and not easily impressed does reduce one's options significantly. But I haven't quite given up all hope yet, and I'm in no hurry to "settle" - I'd rather be discontent single than unhappily attached.

Hang in there. Peace.

Kristy said...

Ingrid,

The Chicago River? That's not so bad. I think it would be fun to merge the kayaking/canoeing experience with the Windy City. Though I hear the pollution in that river is obscene . . .not like drinking water straight out of the lakes in the Boundary Waters.

I recommend staying single while you're in seminary. I made the mistake of dating someone during my first year at NPTS (is this where you're studying?) and ended up leaving because of it. I know, crazy to sacrifice a program over a guy, but I knew that if I stayed, I'd probably want to get back together with him and I knew that wouldn't be good for either of us. There were other factors (like money) too, but seminary is too insane of a place to begin a serious relationship . . .or so I've come to believe. Blah, blah, blah. All of that is to say: "Embrace your single life as a graduate student!" Stick to wisdom.

As for your theory regarding the infamous male, amazingly, I still believe that quality ones are out there. I even know several of them and respect them enormously. Most of them are married (surprise), but there are a few token single ones that seem to have healthy perspectives on the realities of life. So there is hope! And I'm not necessarily "looking" for them, but I am open to being in a relationship should the right guy surface.

And so, I spill my pathetic love-life guts to you and perhaps other anonymous readers. I'm thankful, though, for your comments. You're welcome on this blog anytime, and maybe someday we could do some paddling.

Hang in there with the grad work,
Kristy

Ingrid said...

I am at NPTS, going into my second year of 3 for the MATS/MMNA. I found you via Josh's blog. You could ask him for my contact info if you'd like to be penpals or call sometime when you're in town.

Yeah, I understand that dating in seminary (or any other close quarters, for that matter) could get really messy in a hurry. I know several couples for whom it has worked out well, even a few situations where both are pastors. I'm sure they're the exceptions, though. Relationships are tricky enough without the omnipresent "grapevine" that tends to tangle things and makes it nearly impossible to take it slow and figure yourselves out without interference. Ugh.

I know I'll be OK. God knows what he's doing, right? Being patient just stinks sometimes, that's all.

Later,
Ingrid

Ingrid said...

P.S. I started a Blogger site because I have all of 1 Xanga friend and I figure I might get a few more readers this way.