Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Year of "What I Have is Enough"

Lately I've been challenged by a homily my pastor gave a few weeks ago. She was discussing the Jewish Sabbatical year and the notion of rest--for the land, for people--and renewal as well. It was a year designed for self-evaluation and, in a sense, relief. There was no need to work the land; one ate what it produced on its own accord and debts that were owed were forgiven. The year provided a clean slate for all . . .and an opportunity to trust God anew.

In a sense, I'm in a sabbatical year. Having graduated college in 2001 and it now being 2007, I find myself needing to lay low, reflect, and learn contentment. I think that for a long time, I thought being content was something out of my control; it happened to me. . .all circumstances would collide in perfect harmony and everything would make sense. Or contentment was within my control; something I could wear, eat or not eat, drive, weigh, or even someone I could date or marry. But in truth, I'm finding that contentment doesn't come easily. Rather, it takes work and commitment--I contribute . . .I control my actions and evaluate my perspectives. It also takes a trusting that is counter-cultural to today's society of consumerism, and this trusting puts me in a position to not "control." So in usual Jesus-fashion, the preferred approach to life is somewhat upside-down . . .very backwards looking to today's average person.

So with that said, this is my professed year of "What I Have is Enough." I'm taking up the challenge to not buy anything additional to what I already own. No upgrades on cell phones or services; no new clothes or shoes. Instead, I will celebrate the abundance I already have. And I suspect that I will find a deeper rest than that quick fix that sometimes comes with a new purchase. Maybe (?) I'll even break this American addiction to buying, and instead pay more attention to the daily provisions that already exist . . .like having the use of all 5 of my senses, shelter, great neighbors and family (not to mention great friends), the ability to read and write, and so on.

I stand and wait for light
To open the dark night.
I stand and wait for prayer
To come and find me here.
-W. Berry, Sabbaths 2000

4 comments:

Sib said...

Have you read "Not Buying It"? I forget the author. She and her life partner took a year off of buying non-necessities and she journaled through the process. While she is not really a spiritual person, I found her reflections so engaging---she also provides some research on consumerism--but not much. I borrowed it from the library, but it is one I'd like to own.

Blessings to you as you embark on such an amazing journey---I haven't been brave enough to attempt it yet. With children, I have a much harder time discerning what they need and what I just want them to have---wondering when they have outgrown toys and developmentally need something more engaging, yada yada.

Ingrid said...

Blessings on your year of Jubilee.

Phil Anderson sent me this story - thought you'd enjoy it.

http://www.isleroyalewolf.org/photo_ess/pe_EP_kills_moose.htm

Kristy said...

Sib--I haven't read that book, but I'll have to check it out. These past few weeks have already proved interesting . . .the main temptation was when I was with a friend and wandered into REI (not knowing that a Scratch and Dent sale was going on--which made things doubly hard). Of course there was a pair of shoes there that I wanted to marry, but no purchase was made! On the way home I was trying to work out how I could get them without "buying" them. I'd return a jacket or something along those lines; but when I got home, a pair of shoes that I ALREADY have looked very similar to the shoes in the store, and I laughed over how ridiculous I was. Go figure.

Overall, it has been quite freeing. I find that the time I once spent shopping is now being used to take longer walks with my dog, do more reading--I even am starting to email people back when they write me! Plants are getting watered too. :) So the quality of life is improving around here--for dogs, for plants, for me.

And God's provisions have been entertaining as well. My daily manna has come in the form of books given to me by coworkers and my father (I can't keep up), pizzas from my neighbor (a funny story), a wallet a coworker actually made for me (a new pattern she was dying to try), tea, a bag of chocolate chips, and countless Saturday morning breakfasts from my parents. Bizarre little things here and there, but I'm enjoying them as gifts from God . . .as random as they may seem. Things that are "needed" per se, but a perk to the norm. Blah, blah, blah.

With kids, I would be just like you. Buying up stuff to grow their minds and give them opportunities for play. I certainly find no fault in that!

Kristy said...

Things that are NOT needed, per se . . . .

I need to proofread my comments.