I'm embarrassed for my generation.
(And if you're not completely turned off by my rant, read on.)
June 3, 2004—Traders, 7:07pm
Suddenly I’m weary. Leary of words I’m going to put down on this paper. My melancholy raises its head and asks for companionship; it settles into the familiar shape it inhabits regularly like a dog that circles and reclines for a snooze. I feel it moving about now, circling through conversations I’ve had today and memories those conversations have evoked. Faces appear and fade. “I love you(s)” connected with eyes-so-serious surface . . .recede. I stand alone looking at and into them, screaming my silent why(s).
Melancholy looks up and wags its tail, the familiar thump of it telling me that I’ll be alright. I’ll get through this not as a hardened person, but as a better lover. Yes—I want to love deeply. Love like the recipient of Anne Sexton’s poem Courage: “and those you love will live in a fever of love”—a benediction in its fullest sense.
How is it that Hurt is the great Refiner? How is it that suffering and pain (if not won over to bitterness) produce a seasoned, more authentic love? I say goodbye, it’s over, I have to leave you while not understanding why (but somehow understanding), and hope presents itself in the midst of “What the hell happened here?” Dostoevsky’s Idiot comes to mind, loving always, so consistently. Nastasya Filippovna couldn’t accept the purity of his love. She mocked him while hating herself for her refusal of him. His fever of compassion was simply too much for her and the hatred of her life she projected onto those around her, becoming the Russian tragedy.
I say she is the human tragedy.
She is my and your tragedy.
No comments:
Post a Comment