Saturday, July 29, 2006

Chaplaincy?

Greetings from SE Wisconsin, currently the land of high 90's and wicked humidity. I've had to walk Dima pre-5 am or post-9 pm, and even then he launches himself into the lake as soon as he's able--nothing like the smell of wet dog before you go to bed! But I feel sorry for the hairy bastard . . . .

On to some different thoughts.

It has been good to be back at Froedtert Hospital. Though I'm not crazy about my actual job duties, I love the people I work with: nurses, surgeons, residents, care techs, chaplains, transporters, and fellow communicators. They are quality people who care well for people . . . . Lately I've been getting to know one of the rabbis who comes in the mornings to see patients before they go into surgery. We've been discussing his career as a chaplain and the pros and cons of the profession. Over the past few years I've entertained the idea of becomig a chaplain. It's a job that requires more listening than talking (something I prefer, believe it or not!) and I love that it interacts with different faiths. At Froedtert we have a host of faiths represented in the chaplaincy department, which I love. I've known for a long time that I could never work in a church setting, as I crave discussions with those who have come to different conclusions about life than myself . . .and I love how those conversations enrich and shape me. I don't condemn those who prefer a church setting--I just know that it would be a recipe for disaster should I go that route.

Back to chaplaincy: for a few years I've considered chaplaincy in a Children's Hospital setting, and over the past few months the idea has been screaming at me for attention. I haven't said much to anyone about it, because I wondered if it was just the yearly restlessness with the current job that was surfacing (see my resume--it's ridiculous), just like previous years. I'm one of those people who is addicted, maybe, to "newness." Jobs, places to live, people, cultures, etc.. I have a need for new adventures. However, with my return to Scony, I think I might be settling into what I love (and maybe what I've always loved, for that matter). I love Oconomowoc and the concerts by the American Legion band in the bandshell on Wed. nights. I love the people who are kind to you when you pass them on the sidewalk. And I love the lakes. I really love the lakes . . . . And there is my apartment, which could not be more perfect, and my dog, and my family close by--the list goes on. Maybe I'm settling down, or growing up, or both. Either way, I'm trying to bring my love for people--especially those who are hurting--together with my love for home.

With that all said, I've decided to see my contract through Decemeber at Thistledew, and I will then be working only at Froedtert. Once I've put my 6 months in there, I'll access my tuition benefits through the hospital and work on finishing up my MDiv, most likely at North Park in Chicago. I only need 5 more credits on campus, and I'll then be able to finish everything up via online classes. With a couple of week-long intensives, meeting those requirements shouldn't be a problem, and I'm actually looking forward to checking in with a couple of professors I connected with during my previous schooling there. I've always respected the Covenant tradition and ideology . . .I love their concerns for social justice, biblical equality, and cultural diversity. I think it would be wise for me to finish there, though I've been investigating an Episcopalian seminary 15 minutes away from where I currently live. And did I mention that I love the UCC church I've gone to on occasion when I've been home? Not even within Christianity can I stick to one denomination! Call it my need for the bigger picture. :) Again, another reason why I would probably actually stay in a career of hospital chaplaincy . . . .

Whew. A lot said there, but it's good to get it in print.

6 comments:

Sib said...

I think you would make a great chaplain--especially at a children's hospital. I can definitely see how it would fit with some of the other things you mentioned a passion/calling for. When I was in high school, I volunteered for the summer in a chaplain's office---I have nothing but respect for someone in that position. It's an amazing work to do. Have fun dreaming, Kristy!!!!

Kristy said...

Sib,

My fellow dreamer! So good to hear from you, as always. One day I might pick your brain on puppetry and therapy for a paper.

Are you aniticipating the new baby? And I imagine Maya is excited beyond measure?

I miss you three,
Kristy

Nathan Mattox said...

Just happened across your blog b/c we share "The Solace of Fierce Landscapes" as a favorite. (I attended a 2 week seminar in Wyoming with Belden Lane--what a gifted storyteller!)
Anyway, good luck as you weigh your passions and determine your vocation. I've been there--and don't know if the different pulls will ever quit, even after I've found a fulfilling vocation. I just hope that reincarnation is the way it all cosmicly works, because there is so much I want to do in life, and don't know if there will be time. Sounds like you have a real call to chaplaincy--especially if you can't let the idea go.

Kristy said...

Nathan,

Welcome! A fellow lover of Belden Lane . . .I must admit my jealousy over your attending a seminar by him. But what a phenomenal book! I stumbled upon it during my poverty year of college (you've got to love senior year) at the Minneapolis Public Library, and actually read it during an urban studies course in Chicago. It was a profound read, and seemed even more applicable in the wilderness of a city . . . .

Let us hope for reincarnation! Sometimes I feel as though I've lived previous lives . . .stumbling into places I've never been to before, but feeling a tie to the land as though it were home. Maybe I was Sioux or Ojibwe at some point? :)

Thank you for your encouragement. I'm always interested in how one perceives his or her "calling." What brought you to your current situation?

I'll be perusing your blog . . . .

:),
Kristy

V said...

Wait, you can't leave Thistledew. I've been visiting home vicariously through you.

Have you heard I'm running a marathon! Yes, I'm crazy. I'm raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. And I get to run it in Honolulu!

What doesn it say about me that I feel called to computers and running? Huh.

Kristy said...

Matt,

Good to hear you're running. I'm going to send some moola for support once I get paid. I didn't know about your brother, but I'm glad to know you have this opportunity to honor him and help those just like him. And Honolulu?!

Yes, I'll be leaving Thistledew come December. There's a certain sadness to it, but your wife's blog entry with the comment "Every decision involves loss," has been comforting. And I still need to visit your parents before I leave there!

As for computers and running--not a bad life, given our society would crash and burn without people like you and running . . .well, it's just good for you all around.

:)
-Kristy