Sunday, February 11, 2007

Affirmation of Ministry

Today I joined Emmanuel UCC. This is a big deal as I'm a little commitment phobic when it comes to churches that are affiliated with a denomination, and I'm a bit of a theology snob (seminary does this to some people--my apologies).

For starters:
  • I like women preaching and involved in decision-making.
  • I love this world and want to take care of it.
  • People who happen to be gay are just as incredible as people who happen to be straight.
  • Words are extremely important to me. I like them used carefully, deliberately.
  • And yes, I'm a big fan of Jesus' teachings. I'm a bigger fan of people who live out those teachings.
And that is only a beginning!

But the affirmation posted in our bulletin (and below) sums up my core hopes, and having read it before and with the congregation, I'm excited to know that I've made a good decision. Kind of like a wedding day, in a really bizarre way . . . .

And yes, for those of you who know me--I was a weepy mess. I get it from both parents. :)

Lord, I offer my whole being to Your purposes.
I will not dishonor my soul with hatred,
but offer myself to You humbly
as a guardian of nature, as a healer of misery,
as a messenger of wonder, as an architect of peace.
Lord, use me to bring good into the world.
Through Jesus Christ, my Lord. Amen.

2 comments:

Sib said...

Congratulations, Kristy. So happy to hear that you have found such a wonderful community. I love the affirmation you posted--I am printing it and keeping it for myself :)

Kristy said...

Print away! :)