This last week has been a bit of a rough one--on pretty much every level of my existence. The bridge collapse, major things going down at work (which I'm on the 3rd day of dealing with), and a couple of major things going down in my personal life (think finances, think men).
On Sunday night I went into Froedtert to pick up some extra hours, as I am broke off my ass . . .an unpaid 45+ hours-a-week internship will do this to you. Anyway, I rolled in thinking I was completely alone. After all, this is the way it normally is in Day Surgery on the weekends; I work on getting charts prepared and enjoy a little music from my iPod during the process.
Well, lately I've been REALLY into Jet's album Get Born, and last night I was giving it a listen after deleting some emails that once meant something to me. After having a small cry session/pity-party for myself, the song "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" came on. (One thing you should know about this song is that you absolutely, can not NOT dance to this song. In fact, head over to iTunes now and buy it. It will not disappoint.) So, given the stress I've been under . . .oh, say, everywhere . . .I let loose and completely rocked out in the chart room. I repeated the song a few times and danced like a crazy woman. Eyes closed, even--I was livin' it.
We all know what's coming, right? Oh yes . . .I was due for a new embarrassing moment.
I turn around and there, in the doorway, is the maintenance guy with the LARGEST grin on his face. I wanted to die, to disappear, to melt and dissolve into the carpet. I have no idea how long he was there, or even what kind of show I provided him, but I'm fairly confident that my face matched the color of the bright red allergy stickers on the table in front of me . . . .
Maintenance Guy: "So . . .I just wanted to let you know that I'll be over here replacing the water filter." The smile does not leave his face.
Me: "Alright then . . .enjoy that." He leaves with much amusement and I slink back into my chair, praying that he caught only the tail end of it.
A few minutes later, I couldn't help but laugh. Oddly, it put everything into perspective for me.
Rock out, my friends. It's good for your soul.
Monday, August 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am totally laughing. I see the whole thing so clearly in my head.
I'm glad you are laughing, too. We need to get together soon. In fact, I'm calling you tomorrow night.
Al--I am now calling your Thurs. night. (I'm looking forward to life settling, somewhat, after this internship.)
-K.
Hurrah. Silliness rocks.
(As do you. I bet the guy was impressed as well as amused. If he wasn't, his opinion isn't worth that much anyhow.)
Post a Comment