Sunday, March 19, 2006

Journal Entry from a Couple of Years Ago . . .

Today I pondered the distinction between fantasy and dreams. Those that worship their dreams, I believe, actually worship fantasy whereas those that acknowledge their dreams (and take steps to work toward those dreams) understand the lack of depth mere fantasy holds.

I’ll explain further:

Fantasies are specific: he has blue eyes and brown hair, a height of about 6’3” (give or take a half an inch) and understands me perfectly; I am never wrong. (Note—fantasies also often come with imaginative conversations in which the perfect communication between two individuals is always achieved.) Other fantastical ideas include a 5 bedroom house in your choice of neighborhoods, 4 kids (which are athletic, academic superstars) and a vehicle with satellite radio, the appropriate emblem on the hood, and naturally, many people noticing. (Further note—I am writing from Suburban WI.)

Dreams on the other hand, are fluid, giving room for life to take its shape. Words such as “maybe” or “perhaps” become key indicators for someone understanding he or she is working with dreams. For example: Maybe God will surprise me with an extraordinary individual who will love me by empowering me to be all that Christ has designed me to be; Perhaps I will have a wrap-around porch where I can enjoy meaty conversations and sunsets with the many visitors I hope to have at my home. Detailed? Yes. But happiness dependent on the details? No.

The problem with fantasy is that despite all the imagination involved in creating the perfect scenario, relationship, conversation, living situation, etc., it is incredibly limited. The psuedo details attached to mirage-like mental images hinder the individual’s ability to observe the creativity of God, the dreams that are beyond our wildest thoughts, hopes, prayers . . . (Eph. 3:20). We literally blind ourselves with our fantasies, settling for human-made “dreams” instead of God-made life. I suspect much of this is due to a fear of grace. We can control our fantasies when those we love wound us; when the carpet gets ripped out from beneath our feet and we’re laid out on the floor face-up, eyes-closed and retreating to pictures we dictate in our brains. The old movie reel of “What Should Be” kicks in, and we opt for something less. But we’re still on the floor . . . .

I’m looking for people who will look around and take in the new perspective. What does the floor feel like? What about the ceiling? Do I notice how different the sun slants in through the windows from this angle? Am I paralyzed? Do I get up? When?

Maybe I’ll just rest awhile. Breathe deep and pray.

Yes—genuine, real-life dreamers don’t escape life to live elsewhere. Instead they work with God-instilled loves and passions toward a very blurry picture of “maybe” and “perhaps.” Rather than operate out of expectation, they function with hope, taking in situations while looking for God in the ceiling boards and the spider web dangling in the corner. Grace has freedom to make herself known in whatever form necessary, whether that be in water stains from a roof leak or the feel of hard wood on one's back.

Will I dream with hope or fantasize with expectation?
---------------------------------
"We must stop destroying our body and soul for the idea of happiness in the future. We have to learn to live happily in the present moment, to touch the peace and joy that are available now."

-Thich Nhat Hanh, Touching Peace

2 comments:

Sib said...

absolutely beautiful. not only is your writing superb and clear, but it is provocative. right on, kristy. and that was a couple of years ago!? :)

Kristy said...

Nick,

You really are too nice to me. :) Now I just write about yellow shoes . . . .

Ah, the seasons of life.

:)

-Kristy